The National Assembly’s Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources and Energy led by Chairperson, Mr Zet Luzipho accompanied by Lephalale Local Municipality Mayor, Cllr Alpheus Thulare, today visited Martinique village in Lephalale.
The visit is Parliament’s process of gathering inputs from the public on the Gas Amendment Bill (B9-2021). The Bill seeks to amend the Gas Act,2021 through its objective to:
1. Modernize the Act, in line with current and foreseeable developments in the gas industry landscape.
2. Incorporate provisions dealing with unconventional gases and new transportation technologies of natural gases that are not explicitly included in the current Act.
3. Further intends to address new technological advancements in the gas sector, particularly the transportation of gas by means other than a pipeline, including but not limited to, transportation as liquefied natural gas (LNG) and compressed natural gas.
4. Provide for cooperation between the private and public sectors in the gas industry
5. Enhance compliance monitoring and enforcement provisions of the Act and to provide for matters connected there with.
Community members from various structures were given an opportunity to give inputs.